Yes I've decided to carry my FB status post over to my blog. I feel this is an issue that needs to be addressed. I've been working towards being a more positive, uplifting person. My life has been overrun with trials lately and I've realized that I need to work more on myself, for that's all one really can do. In this more positive Taysia time I've learned something very important that hits on the topic of judging others. I realized that I have NO place judging others when I myself have so many imperfections that need to be worked on. I read a daily quote that truly captured this theory:
"Give so much time to improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others."
-Christian D. Larson

Judging others has been something that has always hit a nerve with me. It almost ALWAYS seems to be that those individuals who cast the biggest judgment stones are those who THINK they are soooo Christ-like. Now let's analyze this. In the scriptures Christ states "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone." From my understanding Christ is telling those who have found sin in this woman that they really shouldn't be soooo concerned about her sin because they ALL have sin. Not only do they all have sin but I bet Christ could've listed off every single thing each of them had done "wrong" in their life. Imagine every time you asked someone why they were going out on a Sunday, or why they were doing something else you felt was "wrong" that someone came over with a loudspeaker and said "excuse me but you cussed that one time, you smoke that one time, you said the Lord's name in vain, etc." I suppose what I'm getting at here is you have your OWN imperfections and instead of finding the faults in others why don't you analyze the faults in yourself? When you are truly perfect and out of things to work on within yourself then and only then is it okay for you to "call others out" on their flaws. I've definitely worked on putting this into practice lately. Obviously I am not perfect and struggle with this same principal, but I know that I have loads and loads of things that I could work on but instead I'm spending my energy doing negative things. Why not use your energy in a positive way? Find your faults and work on them! How fantastic that you can overcome a flaw within yourself and ACTUALLY move closer to God? Every time you judge someone you are taking one step back. Why not move forward? Actually progress in your life? I know I'd like to progress. I'd like to know that upon judgement day I can say I did everything I could to better myself, for isn't that what matters?

Here's another scriptural reference:
For with what judgement ye judge, ye shall be judged; and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother: Let me pull the mote out of thine eye-and behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast the mote out of thy brother's eye. 3 Nephi 14:2-5


What I find truly moving in that excerpt is that whatever measurements you hold to others you will be held to. Wow! I cannot imagine what measurements I've put on others and how one day I might be asked if I could meet those same standards. Can you truly say that if you were that person, in their shoes, in their life, in that situation you'd do the absolute perfect thing? No, because you don't know what it is like to be them, nor are you perfect thus you'd screw something up somewhere along the way. When you meet God will you be able to tell him that you spent your time here working on yourself and becoming the best person you could be? Or will you be the one who has to say "I'm sorry but I spent my time finding everyone else's flaws and pretending to do your job." I know that this post may not seem positive, it may even hurt some individuals. However I want you to take another step back and instead of feeling attacked, think about the positive that has been brought up in this post. The positive is that you too can become a better person! You can better yourself and actually progress in life, instead of hindering yourself. How awesome is that?!

Comments (1)

On September 8, 2010 at 10:14 PM , Heidi N said...

LOVE THIS!!! Very well-worded and very much needed. Great reminder! Thank you!! :D