I've worked at the same place for four years this November. Honestly I've only had three jobs so it's not like I have a history of job hopping or anything. Thus it is no surprise I've been at this place (I plan on not mentioning the actual company since I'd rather not have bomb threats like our other office) for quite some time, despite how frustrating it can be at times. I'm not a huge fan of talking to doctor's offices all day. I'd rather just read their hilarious faxes and know that when I deny their request they can't yell directly at me. On the bright side I've found that my job has taught me a TON of things. Name a medication and I can not only tell you what it is used for, other drugs similar to it, the dosage forms and strengths. There's some medications I know more about than others. Obviously I do not know much about hospital medications or things used most commonly in children. I deal mostly with the elderly, name a heart medication or something for diabetes, arthritis, high cholesterol, etc. and I am very likely to know far too much about it. Anywho the other thing I've learned in my four years at *********** is that just because they're a doctor or pharmacist does not mean they are smart. In fact, quite the opposite. Most doctor's are cocky and do not know nearly as much as they think they do. Here's a list of my favorite things I've encountered while talking to the supposed educational folk of our society:
  • Doctor prescribing Metformin 5,o00mg a day. The max dose is 2,000 a mg a day and this med is quite harsh on the kidneys. Oh yeah, this patient has kidney failure... Not only should they not be on this medication but a dosage that high??
  • A request for Oxycontin 80mg twenty tablets a day. Yeah I tried Oxycontin 10mg once after my wisdom teeth were removed. I about died from the nausea and vertigo. Either this patient is selling the drugs or they've really built up a tolerance and are on a dose that would kill most individuals.
  • Fax request for an eye drop, being used for an eye condition (amazing I know). However the fax says "apply sublingually once a day." Yeah, sublingual is under the tongue. How exactly does putting eye drops under your tongue treat glaucoma? No one knows
  • I always love when a doctor is uber upset because we won't cover a brand name medication. This is a government reimbursed insurance plan, do you really think we're going to cover everything? Seriously now...
  • Patients requesting an early fill override on their medication because they dropped it in the toilet. Okay... Now why was your toilet lid up? Why were you taking the meds in your bathroom? How clumsy did you really have to be to get an opened bottle of pills into the specific portion of the room that is taken up by your open toilet bowl? Were you a pro-basketball player in another life?
  • I inform the caller that the medication cannot be covered unless the patient tries _____ first. The callers response "I know, so can we try for a prior authorization." My response "we just did it, DENIED." Is it that hard?
  • A doctor signs his name at the bottom of our fax form with a star. You know the one you learn to draw in kindergarten where you don't pick up your pencil until it is complete? Yeah, doctor, how easy would that be to fake when forging one of your prescriptions? Well, a kindergarten could do it.
  • Patient's who think they can obtain Suboxone (a medication used for opioid addiction) from one doctor, Lortab from another doctor, and Oxycontin from a third doctor all without someone noticing they're "doctor shopping" for opioids... If you are going to doctor shop and use different pharmacies try not using the same insurance company to pay for all of them. Someone can see those claims, and guess what? We're not stupid.
  • Doctors who think that by being jerks, harassing, and threatening us will make us more inclined to approve their request. Here's a thought, be nice to me and I'll be nice to you. Amazing concept, I know. I just made it up... *insert sarcastic voice here*
  • Pharmacies who demand we allow them to dispense a 3 month supply of Oxycontin. Yeah that is a controlled substance level two, that means it is illegal to dispense more than a 30 day supply. "but we do it all the time!!!" Okay, let me just get the DEA on the line and have you repeat that statement.
  • Doctor: "The drug rep said the medication was far better than the generic counterpart." Did you ever consider that they're trying to sell you a product? Meaning they'll do whatever they can to make a buck, including lying to you?
  • Caller: "You mean I have to have the doctor's DEA for verification?" Me: No that part in the recording where they say a DEA will be required for all calls was put in there for the fun of it....
  • Patient's who are adamant they get all their medications in brand name only. The reason a generic was approved by the FDA was because it is exactly the same as the brand name, in fact they're often manufactured on the same conveyor line. They're also a lot cheaper, and nobody likes saving money so make sure you throw it away on the higher cost stuff.
This list could pretty much go on forever. However it is getting a bit late and I have to work tomorrow. I better go to bed so that I can be well rested to cope with societies finest and most intelligent individuals. Now you know why I don't trust doctors.... But on the bright side it is quite enjoyable to be a part of these hilarious moments in medical history. Good night!!

Comments (0)